The Ashokan Center
Live and work in the beautiful Catskill Mountains!
Full time, part time and “on call” positions are available.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Teach day and evening classes, manage student groups and interact positively with all clients, general public and other Ashokan staff.
- Participate in teacher information sessions and medical meetings.
- Supervise students during recreational periods on our athletic fields. As well as the shared responsibility of supervising residential students overnight in our bunkhouses.
- Share responsibility for maintaining effective communication between instructors and all teachers and students.
- Facilitate large group discussions and shared responsibility of running student meals in our dining hall.
Full time employee benefits include:
- Room & Board for residential field instructors.
- Paid training sessions for all curricular areas, organizational systems, staff expectations, safety and emergency response.
- Access to prodeals.
- Internet available at staff house.
- Fall through spring, (September–June) with a move-out period from Dec 18 through Jan 11
- Residential staff start with an hourly rate of $10.40. Off-site staff start with an hourly rate of $11.40
Education/Experience: Candidates must have a BA or BS degree in environmental science, adventure/outdoor education, natural history, history or a related field, or equivalent training in interpreted programs preferred. Experience working in educational/interpretive settings preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Candidates must have an in-depth knowledge of teaching practices in indoor and outdoor settings, emphasizing experiential, place-based, and discovery learning. Candidates must also demonstrate a thorough understanding of natural systems and environment, with an interest in developing proficiency in such topic area as Native American/ Pioneer Culture History and Skills, Botany, Geology, Habitat Studies, Colonial Crafts making.
Abilities and skills sought include:
- Ability to teach a variety of science, natural history and historical and interpretive programs with an inquiry based approach that inspires curiosity and questions;
- Ability to recognize and work within the limitations of special needs or disabled students and recognize how to respond to different learning styles;
- Ability to write lesson plans, instructional materials, reports, and general correspondence;
- Some combination of fine arts skills such as story telling skills, traditional handicrafts, and musical abilities is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Cover letter should include a statement of your personal philosophy of education, examples of how you have shown initiative and professional development in your past employment and educational experiences; highlight any specialized knowledge and skills that can bring innovation to our programs while supporting your unique professional interests.
|Academic Year Job Openings!|
• Ashokan still has a few more Program Instructors positions to fill for the academic year. They especially have a need for male Instructors (although gals are still encouraged to apply).
Related Jobs (13)
- NESS SEA (STEM Education Ambassador) AmeriCorps Member on January 5, 2021 Year Round