YMCA Blue Ridge
Outdoor Recreation/Parks and Recreation Paid Summer Internship
Soak up the cool mountain air amidst a picturesque 1,200 acre forested campus. Come explore the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Asheville music scene. Make lifelong friends and memories. Earn money for college and beyond. Grow as a leader. Find your way. That’s the Blue Ridge experience!
As an Outdoor Recreation/Parks and Rec Intern, you are the front line in ensuring an engaging, dynamic, and safe environment for our guests. Be it on a hi ropes course, guiding a Team Development Challenge, or through leading a wilderness hike, you help ensure guests leave the Blue Ridge Mountains having had an amazing experience! This position also includes room and board in our on grounds staff housing, and meals based on when our guests are being served.
1. Facilitates team building and personal development on both high and low challenge courses and leads other activities like environmental education, night hikes, mountain biking, archery, childcare, and crafts.
2. Work schedule is part-time and includes weekdays, weekends and occasional evenings.
3. Schedules and weekly hours vary according to the conference programs schedule.
4. For candidates seeking additional work to achieve a consistent 25-30 hours per week, this position may be combined with work in one or more departments such as: grounds/maintenance and conference services, guest services, food service and housekeeping.
5. Must have previous outdoor programs experience
6. Must have a high level of physical fitness and ability to work well at heights
7. Comfortable leading groups of various sizes, and participants of all ages
8. Commitment to the mission of the YMCA and to upholding its values and ethics
9. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings
10. Commit to the mission, philosophy and vision of YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly
11. Provide a safe and incident free experience for all participants
12. Facilitate programs on all program structures and in all program areas
Other Possible Functions / Requirements
1. Possibility of interacting and working in other departments as needed.
2. Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
3. All other duties as assigned.
Compensation and Benefits
1. Position is $8.75 per hour
2. Cost for housing is $75 per week
3. Free meals throughout the summer, based on cafeteria scheduling.
4. Discount for all staff activities throughout the summer.
Related Jobs (29)
- Coastal Education Intern / Marine Fish Tagging Intern on February 11, 2019 Internship
- Field Instructor – Yellowstone Wildlife Ecology Program on January 31, 2019 Seasonal