YMCA Camp Orkila
Provide outdoor environmental education, challenge education programs and weekend recreation programs on beautiful Orcas Island.
Responsibilities: for participants attending YMCA Camp Orkila
- Act as part of the total camp staff team to provide a quality outdoor education program to school groups and weekend family camps.
- Actively contribute to the camp staff team by communicating ideas and concerns openly, by making solution-oriented suggestions, by exhibiting a service-minded attitude, by being an appropriate role model, and by participating in staff meetings.
- Prepare and teach classes in Environmental Education, Challenge Education, Outdoor Living Skills, and or Science-based classes daily as assigned.
- Assist with ongoing training and program development by contributing to staff workshops, critiquing and revising existing curriculum, and developing new curriculum.
- Facilitate activities (crafts, archery, row boating, large group games, campfires, etc.) during the daily Open Recreation period and Evening Activity period as assigned.
- Plan and facilitate program orientation meetings for school groups.
- Cooperate with Program Directors to provide activities for weekend groups.
- Model and enforce all camp policies. Model a positive, service-minded attitude.
- Be consistently on time for all meals, classes, and other activities.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Ensure that all camp resource materials and equipment are kept orderly, safe, and well-maintained.
- Ensure high standards of housekeeping in all cabins, facilities, staff housing, program areas, bathrooms and main lodge. Monitor and re-stock housekeeping supplies as needed.
- Perform physical tasks involving lifting up to 50 pounds, bending, stooping, and other such movements. Activities may include, but are not limited to: belaying, climbing, moving luggage, shoveling, cleaning and walking long distances.
- Have previous experience working with youth
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Current Red Cross First Aid and CPR certifications.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation of $55-58 per day DOE plus housing and meals.
- Opportunities to use our Orkila sea kayaks (after proper training).
- 3 week in-depth training of challenge course and science curriculum.
- Access to plant and harvest in our large organic garden.
- Optional discounted WFR training.
- Caring, fun, adventurous, and experienced co-workers!
Related Jobs (26)
- Coastal Education Intern / Marine Fish Tagging Intern on February 11, 2019 Internship