This job has been Expired
Ravenwood Outdoor Learning Center
April 23 through June 8, 2020
Staff will work as part of a team of four to facilitate school groups of elementary and middle school students at a leased Scouts BSA facility near Creston, MT during the employment period. Group sizes range from 15 to 30 students plus 5-10 adults. There are 4 days of training and planning, 22 days of program, and 1 day of clean-up and staff closing scheduled for the 2020 spring season. Program staff are responsible for co-planning and co-facilitating all program aspects of the camp sessions. For overnight groups, teachers, students, and adult chaperones are responsible for meal preparation and clean-up as well as night time supervision once the campfire/ evening activities are completed. Scheduled shifts generally range from 8 to 12 hours/day and include a daily check-in time each morning and group debrief and planning time each afternoon.
Each staff member will lead a small-group skill-based project for each school group in an area of their expertise. These small “Guild” groups will meet at least once per day for 1-3 hours. Staff are responsible for preparing lesson plans and materials for their guild projects. Some examples of past guild projects include fire by friction, shelter building, wild medicine making, bow-making, buckskin sewing, wild food preparation, wildlife tracking, nature-based awareness games, and many more. The well-tended wildland surrounding the Scouts camp provides ample opportunity to lead a wide variety of skills.
Kitchen access, showers, and camping space are provided on-site during work time. Overnight groups provide meals for staff. Facility use and camping on-site are also available when off-duty as per arrangements with the Ravenwood supervisor and the Scouts representative.
- Age 18 or older
- Love for children and prior youth mentoring/education experience
- Wilderness living, ancestral arts, nature crafts, survival skills, or local natural history skills
- Mature approach to communications, timeliness, and follow through.
- Ability to work on your own with guidance, but minimal supervision from your supervisory mentors
- Solution-based thinking and flexible, community-oriented mindset
- Clear background check
- Current certification in first aid and CPR required; Wilderness First Responder preferred
- Meet with staff team before and after camp program time, and at an agreed-upon time on Fridays, for planning, preparation of materials, debriefing and training. Post-camp, meet with staff team and individually with Program Director Jennifer Bresee to debrief camp.
- Plan, prepare supplies, and facilitate a dynamic array of youth programs.
- Work with a team of mentors showing respect and accountability to all by displaying integrity, timeliness, deep listening, and clear communication.
- Mentor youth in nature awareness and wilderness skills using the 8 Shields Cultural Mentoring model.
- Inspire youth and adults to explore their unique gifts and guide self-development through their connection with nature and others.
- Camp staff will work closely with Program Director, Jennifer Bresee, to meet the stated objectives.
- Receive mentoring in wilderness skills, routines of nature connection, culture building, and sensory awareness
- Work with highly creative people to cultivate a powerful learning culture for youth and adults alike
- Professional training, mentoring, support and feedback for personal growth as youth mentor.
- Strong community support and opportunities to build meaningful relationships with local leaders, parents, elders, and children.
Compensation is dependent on experience based on the following guidelines:
- If you have completed at least one full season in good standing as staff in an 8 Shields nature connection mentoring youth program, starting seasonal salary will be based on $13/hour.
- If you have less than one season of 8 Shields experience, starting pay is based on $11/hr.
- For Teen Staff positions, starting pay is based on $10/hr.
Submit a letter of interest via e-mail with resume in PDF, Google Doc or Word format, and three references, to Jennifer Bresee – [email protected] I will interview selected applicants either in-person or over the phone at a mutually agreeable time.