This job has been Expired
Dartmouth’s sense of place in northern New England provides its students with a unique learning environment. The mission of the Outdoor Programs Office (OPO) is to find inclusive ways for all students to engage with the outdoors to better understand the natural world, themselves and others. OPO accomplishes this through three main endeavors: supervising the Dartmouth Outing Club (the oldest and largest collegiate outing club in the country), facilitating educational & community programs, and managing a wide variety of outdoor facilities across the State of New Hampshire. This position directs all internal aspects of the Outdoor Programs Office including program development, oversight of staff, operations and facilities. The Director is a member of the Student Life management team and works in collaboration with colleagues to establish a vision, mission and goals for Outdoor Programs.
Department Leadership (45%)
- Assures all programs are properly vetted for alignment with the mission of Outdoor Programs—managing risk appropriately, having proper leadership in place, are well-prepared, and adhere to the highest industry standards.
- Provides leadership and supervision (including mentorship, task assignment, execution oversight and accountability) to the Outdoor Programs staff.
- Responsible for hiring, evaluation, and termination of staff.
- Directs the development, implementation, and on-going planning for departmental vision and direction, including participation in facility development and renewal planning, staff retreats and professional development, educational and recreational program planning, and fiscal planning.
- Develops and administers the Outdoor Program Office’s diversity and inclusion plan.
- Builds intentional partnerships with other Student Life offices.
- Collaborates with all areas of the campus; and, in conjunction with the Associate Dean, advocates for Outdoor Programs with a wide range of campus and community partners.
Program Management (15%)
Directs the management of a variety of Outdoor Programs. Examples include:
- Student-focused outdoor education such as team building and leadership development programming, ropes courses, physical education classes, workshops, experiential learning opportunities, etc.
- Outdoor facilities/programs such as Cross Country Ski Touring Center, Ravine Lodge, Ledyard Canoe Club, rental cabins, equipment rental service, a climbing gym, etc.
- Departmental risk management protocols and programs, including those regarding wilderness medicine, transportation, chainsaw and other tool use, and basic leadership training.
Student Advising (15%)
- Supervises the Dartmouth Outing Club (DOC).
- Serves as an advisor to one or more of the Dartmouth Outing Club committees.
- Builds positive, productive, professional relationship with student leaders.
- Fosters an educational environment for students and staff.
- Implements policies and procedures assuring compliance with College policy.
- Serves on divisional and institutional committees and working groups, as assigned.
- Participates in divisional or departmental emergency on-call rotations.
Fiscal Management (10%)
- Develops and manages, with input from staff, all operating budgets.
- Serves as primary steward for departmental award and/or grant programs. May chair the distribution committee, informs students of committee decisions, maintains records, and distributes reports.
- Fiscal resource development such as grants, endowment and annual giving.
- In consultation with Student Life, Student Affairs and Advancement staff, actively engages in fundraising to support the growth of the Outdoor Program Office. Identifies prospective supporters and works to steward and engage alumni stakeholders and prospects.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Some night and weekend work required.
Skills & Knowledge
- Familiarity with the skills, language, central issues and concerns of outdoor disciplines.
- Ability to address complex issues that include a wide variety of subject matter and a multi-faceted mission.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to a diverse population including students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to the ideas of a liberal arts education and to promoting pluralism and intercultural understanding.
- Demonstrated success in leading and developing a professional staff/team, including volunteers and students.
- Outstanding communication skills, including public speaking, and ability to communicate effectively with all constituencies in the campus and greater community.
- Demonstrated experience working both independently and collaboratively, with outstanding proficiency in teamwork, collaboration, flexibility, and organizational problem-solving.
- Conceptual skills necessary to view the department holistically and make decisions for its overall welfare.
- Strong organizational, budgetary, and financial management skills.
- Ability to develop a multi-year vision while maintaining annual focus.
- Knowledge of programmatic risk management.
- Seven years of experience administering outdoor programs, or the equivalent.
- Master’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For additional information and to apply, please visit https://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu/postings/52774
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.