This job has been Expired
- Assistant/Associate Professor of Outdoor Education
- Northland College, a 4-year Environmental Liberal Arts college on the south shore of Lake Superior, invites applications for a tenure-track assistant/associate professor position in Outdoor Education.
- We are seeking an educator and service leader who will support our program’s mission to prepare students to be critically aware outdoor professionals who can plan and deliver quality educational experiences that promote connection to and understanding of the natural world, are inclusive of diverse populations, and manage risk according to professional standards.
- The successful candidate must have:
- A terminal degree in a relevant field; experience teaching field-based courses with organizations such as Outward Bound and NOLS; technical skill in a variety of outdoor pursuits and environments; a commitment to promoting social justice, diversity, and inclusion in and through the outdoor profession; an understanding of the potential for the outdoor profession to promote environmental ethics and stewardship; a desire to teach both classroom-based and field-based courses; and a Wilderness First Responder certification.
- Additional preferred qualifications include experience teaching college courses in outdoor education or a related field; experience in therapeutic use of wilderness, experience working with diverse populations, experience facilitating adaptive recreation, knowledge of Universal Design Principles in education, experience with urban outdoor and environmental education programs, relevant professional certifications (e.g. ACA IT, PCIA/AMGA SPI, ACCT Instructor, LNT Master Educator, etc.), and involvement with professional organizations such as the AORE, WEA, or AEE.
- This is a 9-month tenure-track appointment, with a teaching load of 7 courses (3-3-1). Salary for assistant professors starts at $50,000. Start date: September, 2020.
- To apply, visit http://my.northland.edu/hr/employment/ to upload a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three professional references. You may also upload a technical resume and summaries of student evaluations. Review of applications will begin in September. Direct any questions to Dr. Elizabeth Andre, [email protected]
- About us
- Ashland, Wisconsin sits on the Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior by the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore and surrounded by national forest. We are a hub for Nordic skiing, mountain biking, hiking, sailing, sea kayaking, fishing and hunting. We also have nearby whitewater, rock and ice climbing, and downhill skiing. We are 1 hour from Duluth, Minnesota and 3.5 hours from Minneapolis.
- The Outdoor Education program offers a B.S. in Outdoor Education with emphases in Adventure Leadership, Equity and Inclusion, Natural History, and Outdoor Program Management (offered through collaboration with the Business program). The program also supports a minor in Environmental Education.