YMCA of NYC- Camp
NY YMCA Camp
B.O.L.D. & G.O.L.D – Adventure Trip Leader
The BOLD (Boys Outdoor Leadership Development) & GOLD (Girls Outdoor Leadership Development) Program is dedicated to inspiring leadership, courage, and community in diverse groups of adolescent girls and boys through outdoor adventures. We run four different sessions of adventure-based trips with one week on site and one week off site. During our trips we visit places like the Adirondacks, Poconos, Berkshires and Atlantic Ocean. Activities include backpacking, rock climbing, fishing, yoga, art, music, literature, and backcountry cooking. Our goal is to increase confidence, courage, emotional intelligence, wonder, and community awareness in participants. We believe these traits are the foundations of leadership and work to inspire participants to develop their own leadership style. We prepare young people, to be the next generation of leaders through multicultural experiential education in the natural world.
- Minimum 21 years old by June 7th, 2019
- At least 1-year experience or education in the areas of camping, outdoor pursuits, or trip leading.
- Clean Driving Record
- Wilderness First Aid or higher certification valid through August 24th, 2019 (or ability to obtain by start of job)
- First Aid, CPR and AED certifications preferred (Will train)
- Lifeguard or Water Safety Instructor certification preferred (Will train)
- Ability to hike up to 8 miles per day on rugged terrain with a backpack
- Co-Lead 6-12 campers through 4 sessions of 2-week trips, onsite prep/skills, and offsite overnight trips.
- Create a physically and emotionally safe environment for campers
- Facilitate meal planning and preparation offsite on trips
- Effectively teach outdoor skills
- Facilitate value-forming experiences
- Be a consistent role model to participants and staff.
- Maintain itinerary to ensure participants are receiving a well-rounded experience.
- Be knowledgeable about all aspects of job
- Assist with planning and leading activities while at camp and offsite
- Able to uphold and demonstrate the core values of the YMCA (Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Honesty)
- Maintain communication with Adventure Coordinator while on trips.
- Maintain YMCA, ACA, and New York State Health Department standards both on and off camp, as well as rules and policies of outside agencies being utilized.
- Ensure appropriate staff to camper ratios for supervision
- Be aware of safety, risk management, cleanliness and maintenance concerns and report them to the Adventure Coordinator as they arise.
Related Jobs (26)
- Coastal Education Intern / Marine Fish Tagging Intern on February 11, 2019 Internship
- Field Instructor – Yellowstone Wildlife Ecology Program on January 31, 2019 Seasonal