This job has been Expired
Seal Rescue Ireland
Seal Rescue Ireland: Media and Outreach Internship
Seal Rescue Ireland (SRI) is a registered charity organisation which operates a very busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation centre located in Courtown, Co. Wexford. As the only facility that fully rehabilitates seals within the Republic of Ireland, SRI responds to strandings nationwide. Most reports are for young grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) and common seal (Phoca vitulina) pups found sick, injured or orphaned across the Irish coastline. In addition, SRI pursues understanding and public engagement in ocean conservation and sustainability through education, community outreach and research programmes. SRI has a growing social media presence, and is gaining international recognition for our work. SRI is currently accepting applicants for a Media and Outreach Intern with openings available immediately and rolling start dates year round. This is a full time position for a minimum of 12 weeks but longer commitments are encouraged. After completion of initial training, interns who excel may be invited to stay on longer and offered higher levels of responsibility with the potential for compensation through living expenses.
Reports to: Director
Job Summary: This position will provide the intern with work experience in all aspects of a rescue and rehabilitation centre with primary focus on producing quality photographs, video and media content for use on our website, social media, monthly newsletter, adoptions programme, marketing, educational and fundraising projects. The intern will spend half their time developing media content, and the other half of their time assisting with educational tours, fundraising and clerical tasks. This position requires a skilled photographer who will be responsible for capturing consistent photographs and videos of the animals in care to tell their stories, daily activities at the centre, and events on and off-site (i.e. rescues, releases, educational talks, outreach events, etc.), as well as developing content consistent with SRI’s message of ocean conservation and sustainability. Partial involvement in assisting in husbandry care of rehabilitation animals is an option if interested.
Requirements: Applicants must have a keen interest in marine conservation, biology and environmental stewardship, as well as skills in developing media content and photography with proven examples of your work to be submitted with your application. You must be in a position to bring your camera equipment with you. Applicants must have effective communication skills, the ability to represent SRI in professional manner and work well in a team setting. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work nights, weekends and holidays. Public speaking skills, graphic design and website development skills are highly encouraged.
- Participate in educational talks and tours.
- Assist in design, development and maintenance of the SRI website
- Keep up to date photographs and video of the seals in care
- Photograph events and daily tasks for use in media, marketing and promotional purposes
- Develop educational and promotional written content
- Provide assistance to the managers and rehabilitation staff as needed.
- Assisting with fundraisers and educational events
- Assisting with clerical duties and office work as needed
- (Optional)-Assist in the care and maintenance of the Center’s rehabilitation animals (feeding, medical treatment, daily care, routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas.).
- (Optional)-Assist with rescue and release of stranded animals.
This is an unpaid position. Intern housing is available for 90 Euro/week (including food) on a first come first served basis . Interns are responsible for all travel expenses.
Please visit our website (http://www.sealrescueireland.org/internships/) to download the application form. Then send your resume, cover letter, and application form along with examples of your writing and photography to: [email protected]
Attention: Media and Outreach Internship Internship
Find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sealrescueireland
Registered Charity Number: 20108519
Related Jobs (26)
- ACE BLM Direct Hire Authority Internship Opportunities on February 14, 2019 Internship
- Coastal Education Intern / Marine Fish Tagging Intern on February 11, 2019 Internship