This job has been Expired
Denver Walking Tours
We’re growing again! Apply to join our awesome team!
Part-Time Tour Guide – Denver Walking Tours
Part-Time Job Opportunity – 1-3 days and/or evenings per week (about 3-12 hours/week)
Job Title: Tour Guide – Denver Walking Tours Team
Deadline: 11:59 pm, Saturday, March 9th, 2019
Name of Company: Denver Walking Tours, LLC
Denver Walking Tours, LLC, a local walking tour company which launched services in June 2015, and are now accepting applications for 2-4 Tour Guides. This is a long-term, part-time, contract position.
We are looking for 2-4 new superstar tour guides to join our team.
If you think that you have the knowledge, the skills, and, most importantly, the passion to lead locals and visitors on meaningful and fun excursions through the streets and landmarks of downtown Denver and make them fall in love with this city as much as you are, we want to meet you!
We currently do not have any full-time positions, and all of our guides are independent contractors who are able to lead tours 1-3 days or evenings each week (about 2-3 hours a day, including commuting time)
Tour guide schedules are flexible. Depending on your availability and interests, guides may lead free daily tours at 10:00 am, paid ghost tours on Friday and Saturday nights, paid 60 minute tours on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays at 5:30 pm, and/or paid private tours mornings, afternoons, and evenings.
For spring, summer and fall 2019, we are especially looking for new team members who can lead one or more of the following tours:
1. Our 60 minute tours at 5:30 pm on Monday evenings starting June 1
2. Our 60 minute tours at 5:30 pm on Thursday evenings starting June 1
3. Our 60 minute tours at 5:30 pm on Friday evenings starting June 1
4. Our Saturday evening Ghost Tours starting on June 1
5. Our free 10 am tours one morning a week
We are looking for team members who meet most of the following criteria:
- Knowledgeable about the city’s culture and history (full paid training with tour talking points provided)
- Previous leadership experience
- Previous group management experience
- Passion for either leading tours or working with groups of people of all ages
- Performance experience (stage, screen, music, improv, comedy, etc)
- Teaching experience
- Tourism or travel industry experience
- Madly in love with Denver
- Availability to lead 10:00 am group walking tours 1-4 days per week
The Tour Guide’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting walking tours in downtown Denver. Our Best of Denver Tours are our most popular tours and consist of a 1.7 mile route that begins at the Colorado State Capitol and ends at Union Station, passing 13+ downtown local attractions along the route. This tour takes approximately two hours.
- Share historically accurate information/facts (from provided talking points) in an entertaining, lively and engaging manner. Facts may include Denver “firsts,” conmen, ghosts, grand and other “less savory” pieces, moments, and events of Denver history that will keep customers entertained and intrigued.
- Do observational research by taking part in other Denver Walking tour guides’ tours in order to gain insight into the roles and responsibilities of a tour guide and attributes of an excellent tour guide.
- Attend debriefing meetings and/or participate in conference calls with owners, as needed.
- Follow an established paid training and paid professional development work plan in Spring 2019.
- Begin hosting tours by May 1, 2019.
- Take photos of each tour group, which must include all clients, and post photo to DWT Facebook page within 24 hours of tour.
- Post tour guest numbers to Google Drive spreadsheet within 24 hours of each tour.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English and be able to project voice so that a large group of people can clearly hear at all times
- Knowledgeable and familiar with Google Calendar, Google Drive, and Google Docs
- Ability to complete work by established deadlines
- Able to lead tours at least one day each week and be available for occasional night and weekend conference calls and meetings, as needed
- Superb group management skills
- Dedication to outstanding customer service
- Excellent speaking skills, with an ability to relay information to groups in a fun, unique way
- Knowledge of Denver history, architecture, and key downtown Denver tourist destinations is preferred
- Task oriented and highly motivated
- Reliable and timely
- High integrity and confidence
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Exceptional personality
- Must be able to memorize talking points and relay them in an entertaining manner
- Ability to stand/walk for 2+ hours, work safely, and lead groups safely through downtown Denver
- High School graduate or equivalent is required
- Access to internet and computer
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Facebook, and Google Drive for document sharing/collaboration
- Interest and/or knowledge of Denver history is preferred
- Prior performance, teaching, or group leadership experience is preferred
DWT Pay & Benefits:
- This is a long-term contractor position.
- Paid training and professional development – $12/hour.
- Tour guide pay for all tours except the free 10 am tours – $50-70+ for our 2 hour tours, depending on the number of guests. $35-55+ for our 1 hour tours, depending on the number of guests.
- Tour Guide pay for the 10 am free morning tours: (Please read this section in its entirety for a full understanding). Tips only for daily free 10 am walking tours less a $2.25/tour guest shared cost fee to cover marketing, advertising, professional development and insurance for each of our guides.
- Market research and our data from the previous year shows that the average tip is $7-10+/person.
- We average about 17 clients per free 10 am tour, meaning that you will make a minimum of $50+ in tips for a two hour tour.
To Apply (any incomplete applications will not be considered; please follow directions carefully):
- Please email a resume AND, in place of a cover letter, please email your best responses to the application questions below. Please do not send a cover letter. The deadline to apply is 11:59 pm on Saturday, March 9th.
- Interviews with top candidates will be scheduled between March 11th-15th.
- **PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE AVAILABLE TO START TRAINING BY APRIL 1, 2019 & START LEADING TOURS 1+ DAYS PER WEEK BY MAY 1, 2019.
- Number of positions available: 2-4
- We encourage you to research our website and Facebook pages to learn more about our company and prepare for your interview!
Denver Free Walking Tours – Tour Guide Application Questions
In place of a cover letter, please submit an application that answers all of the following questions, in addition to your resume:
- First & Last Name:
- How long have you lived in Denver:
- Do you speak any languages, other than English, fluently?
- Tell us about any work experience that you have that pertains to this job:
- What type of “Stage Experience” do you have (theater, improv, music, dance, street performance, teaching, etc.)?
- What type of teaching experience do you have (camp counselor, piano teacher, led a workshop, taught a class, etc.)?
- Describe where you would go and what you would do to show a visiting friend the best 24 hours ever in Denver. Your friend also shares that he/she doesn’t want to do only “touristy” things in the 24 hours they are visiting.
- Tell us about a significant leadership experience.
- What traits and/or strengths do you like most about yourself?
- What do you think is the most important quality or attribute of an amazing tour guide and why?
- Why should we hire you for this position?
- What is your year-round weekly availability to lead tours at (what days work, what days do not, what times work, what times do not)?
- How many days each week would you like to lead tours?
- Last words – please add anything else you want to tell us!
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $25.00 to $80.00 /hour
- High school or equivalent