Position Summary: The Rafting Guide acts as a personal guide on the park(s) cultural, historical, and natural resources while providing support to the guests during the interpretive raft experience.
- Participate in on-river guideâ€™s training
- Stage, load, rig, unload, and maintain required safety equipment for rafts
- Greeting and outfit guests with proper safety and river equipment
- Assist in all Interpretation programs relating to the natural and human history material of the river in conjunction with the Interpretive Trainer
- Guides will ensure guide compliance with operations Manual and the NPS Commercial Operating Requirements (CORs)
- Be aware of MSDS sheets books and be able to use this information when necessary
- Guides should test the communications equipment at the warehouse for operation
- Must provide an orientation to clients about basic rafting etiquette, area regulations, safety procedures, resource protection information, and emergency procedures
- Must be a knowledgeable guide for clients, and provide encouragement
- Maintains excellent customer service and positive attitude towards guest, customers, clients, co-workers, etc.
- Ensure the rafting gear is in good condition
- Have the physical ability to perform rafting excursions in extreme weather
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by manager
- Demonstrates interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Verifiable experience or training in whitewater rafting techniques
- Must have a valid US Driver’s License
- Previous experience in commercial whitewater operations.
- Training in Whitewater Rescue Technician or Swiftwater Rescue Technician protocols
- Advanced training in First Aid protocols such as Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness Advanced First Aid, Wilderness EMT or EMT/Paramedic
- Experience required with: 18â€™ or 16â€™ Inflatable watercraft, rowing frames, whitewater rescue equipment, cell phone, telephone, trailer jacks, cargo straps and ratchets
- Requires stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling
- Requires lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling up to 100 lbs.