Outer Island Excursions
Deckhands on whale watching tour are naturalists for the powerboat tours, focusing on the marine mammals, birds, and the ecology of the region. Deckhands are also responsible for fueling and cleaning boats before and after trips.
Familiarity with vessel safety procedures, public speaking, strong communication skills and guiding experience are strongly preferred. Deckhands will also be required to occasionally assist with office duties
- Providing safe, educational tours to customers
- Educating the public about the marine mammals, birds, intertidal life, geology, ecology, and the natural and cultural history of the San Juan Islands.
- Cleaning and occasional maintenance of powerboats
- Providing safety orientations prior to each tour
- Running check-in including collecting payment and processing online transactions
- Office duties including answering phones, checking online reservations, coordinating with guides, customer service, etc.
- When guiding tours effective communication between guides and office staff is critical
- CPR and First Aid Certified (before arrival)
- Completed BS or above in Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Environmental Science, or related field
- Valid driver’s license
- Subject to random drug testing
- TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Card)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and strong work ethic
- Flexibility and open to an often unpredictable schedule
- Capable of working long hours in physically challenging outdoor environment (expect long hours June-August)
-Experience on powerboats strongly preferred