Alaska Mountain Guides
The Haines Raft Guide’s main responsibility is to carry out the company’s mission of providing passengers with a safe, enjoyable, and educational wilderness experience. The Haines Raft Guide will lead passengers by raft through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve safely and enthusiastically with the ultimate goal of satisfied passengers at the end of each trip. Our rafts are 18 ft. oar-rigs and we will take up to 8 passengers at a time on either the Tsirku, the Klehini or the Chilkat Rivers. During our trips, we will spend about 1.5 hours on the river and our guides will also be expected to help with the setting up and taking down of our rafting equipment. The Haines Raft Guide reports to the River Manager, the Haines Program Manager, and the Haines Program Assistant Manager.
Raft through the Bald Eagle Preserve, home to the world’s largest concentration of eagles. Explore the Lynn Canal, North America’s deepest Fjord, by boat. Watch for wildlife such as eagles, bears, moose, whales and more. Visit historic Fort Seward. Throughout your journey the scenery will be world-class, so don’t forget your camera.
Combine a scenic raft trip in the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve with an exploration of the spectacular Lynn Fjord. Your quest begins onboard a jet-powered catamaran as you watch for whales, sea mammals, and cascading waterfalls en route to the historic Fort Seward. A narrated 40-minute drive up the Haines Highway, a National Scenic Byway, brings you to the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. Watch for moose and swans in the marshlands along the way. At the Preserve, your guides await to begin your rafting adventure. Floating silently down the river is the best way to observe the eagles drawn to the river to feed on the plentiful salmon. You will spend about 1.5 hours floating through the Preserve before returning to your cruise ship. A riverside picnic is provided. This trip has no whitewater. The minimum age is 7 years old.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Complete training all hard skills and training check-offs.
- Guest Safety first, then Engage guests with questions, Entertain guests, and last but not least, Educate guests about the area.
- Must possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate, strong, and energetic.
- Maintain the safety of guests at all times.
- Greet clients, facilitate introductions, get clients excited for rafting.
- Collect waivers, tickets and make sure all guests have signed waivers.
- Outfit clients in boots and PFD’s (with instruction on their wear and fit).
- Give safety talk to clients and complete safety talk checklist.
- Maintain group control and spacing while getting guests geared up and on the river.
- Help load and unload gear while keeping the guests engaged. Responsible for following a strict daily schedule.
- Complete appropriate guide checklists & paperwork at the end of each shift.
At all times:
- Assist with other jobs/projects as needed by CG administration, this may include but is not limited to:
- Driving vehicles with guests or with our equipment.
- Assisting with food prep for cruise tour programs.
- Associated program maintenance needs. * Must at all times be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, and reliable.
- Must be willing to work as a strong team member, assisting in the maintenance of group morale.
- Must possess the desire to continually improve his/her knowledge and skills.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Possess a friendly, outgoing, professional demeanor at all times during interactions with the guests and other CG employees.
- Follow CG policies and procedures at all times.
- Must possess a strong work ethic.
- Prior guiding, leadership, and tourism experience are helpful.
- Must be willing to become certified or possess current certification in at least Wilderness First Responder (WFR), CPR, and Swift Water Rescue.
- Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds repeatedly throughout each day. Must be able to carry loads over uneven ground.
- Must be willing to occasionally assist the catering staff in preparing lunches for our cruise tour programs.
As a Raft Guide:
- Completion of CG Haines program training which includes being checked off to guide 18 ft. oar-powered rafts through glacially braided river systems.
- Attention to safety, including learning and appropriately demonstrating the Raft Safety Talk, and having awareness of weather and river conditions and obstacles.
- Must be willing to learn how to drive our gear trucks and participate in gear truck operations. Diesel box trucks with raft trailers attached.
- Must be willing to obtain a valid Class B CDL and contribute to bus driving duties.
- Wear the appropriate company logo gear during the tour and follow the personal appearance guidelines.
- Good leadership skills, ability to communicate and facilitate groups of up to 48 people.
- Be able to maintain a tight schedule-ensure your group stays on schedule throughout all aspects of the tour.
- Responsible for cleanliness and excellent maintenance of river gear, put-ins, and take-outs.
- Responsible for communicating all incidents to Haines Program Manager.
- Responsible for communicating all gear and vehicle issues to maintenance staff.
- Must be a good communicator with the willingness to teach and entertain his/her clients.
- Guides must demonstrate the ability to set up all of the various site elements including tables, PFDs, food and follow low impact guidelines in bear country.
For CDL Driving:
- Must obtain a valid Class B CDL and contribute to bus driving duties for these and other tours. Have and maintain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement.
- Pass FMCSA required pre-employment drug tests & screening.
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
- Completion of AMG Haines Driver training program (minimum of 8 hours).
Staff training will provide a foundation for you to build and enhance your guiding resume. It also serves to put in place a set of standards that we expect all of our staff to maintain. In addition, you are required to complete guide training, develop a thorough comprehension of all program components, and receive a check-off on all systems before entering a paid role. Upon your arrival to Haines, you will receive Guide Training Manuals. You will also complete all required U.S. employment paperwork and all CDL paperwork required by the Federal Motor Carrier Administration.
FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION COMPLIANCE:
Chilkat Guides (CG) and its sister companies comply with all applicable federal laws regarding CDL drivers and CDL operations. FMCSA regulations and CG’s own policies and procedures ensure that our guests will receive the highest quality tours possible in terms of bus transportation safety. As a result of federal regulations, each Haines CDL driver will be required to participate in an approved random drug testing program and also be required to complete and maintain some paperwork in addition to the regular employee paperwork for all other employees.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please visit our website to fill out an application. Email us an application, cover letter, and resume. We will formally begin the application review process at that point and contact you thereafter.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $10.50 per hour
Related Jobs (14)
- 2021 Summer – Canoe Naturalist + CDL Driver – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal
- 2021 Summer – Tour Services Representative (Dock Rep) – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal
- 2021 Summer – Raft Guide – Hike & Float Guide – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Freelance
- 2021 – Skilled Mountain/ Expedition Guide – Haines, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal