Alaska Mountain Guides
The Haines CDL Driver’s main responsibility is to carry out the company’s mission of providing passengers with a safe, enjoyable, and educational wilderness experience. The Haines CDL Driver will drive guests in buses on a series of trips including the Bald Eagle Preserve Float and other Alaska Mountain Guides, Adventures (AMGA) day cruise programs. All of the tours are staffed with a Schpeeler who escorts the guests through the entire tour, narrates during the drives, and is responsible for overall guest experience. The Haines CDL Driver reports to the Haines Program Manager.
FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION COMPLIANCE:
Chilkat Guides, Ltd. (CG) and its sister companies comply with all applicable federal laws regarding CDL drivers and CDL operations. FMCSA regulations and CG’s own policies and procedures ensure that our guests will receive the highest quality tours possible in terms of bus transportation safety. As a result of federal regulations, each Haines CDL Driver will be required to participate in an approved random drug testing program and also be required to complete and maintain some paperwork in addition to the regular employee paperwork for all other employees.
Tour DESCRIPTION (Bald Eagle Float):
Raft through the Bald Eagle Preserve, home to the world’s largest concentration of eagles. Explore the Lynn Fjord, North America’s deepest Fjord, by boat. Watch for wildlife such as eagles, bear, moose, whales and more. Visit historic Fort Seward. Throughout your journey the scenery will be world-class, so don’t forget your camera.
Combine a scenic raft trip in the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve, home to the world’s largest concentration of Bald Eagles, with an exploration of the spectacular Lynn Fjord. Your quest begins onboard a jet-powered catamaran as you watch for whales, sea mammals, and cascading waterfalls, en route to the historic Fort Seward. A narrated 40-minute drive up the Haines Highway, a National Scenic Byway, brings you to the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. Watch for moose and swans in the marshlands along the way. At the Preserve, your guides await to begin your rafting adventure. Floating silently down the river is the best way to observe the eagles drawn to the river to feed on the plentiful salmon. A riverside picnic is provided before your return. This trip has no whitewater.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Have and maintain a clean driving record in order to be insured by CG company automotive insurance.
- Maintain an FMCSA approved logbook for driving hours.
- Responsible for following a strict daily schedule.
- Complete vehicle checklists as needed.
- Responsible for cleanliness and excellent maintenance of buses, tour equipment, and the locations that the tours visit.
- Responsible for communicating all gear and vehicle issues to maintenance staff.
- Complete appropriate driver checklists & paperwork at the end of each shift.
- Must be a safe driver and obey all traffic laws.
- Work closely with, assist and take directions from the trip Schpeeler, who is responsible for overall guest experience throughout the tour.
- Assist the Schpeeler in greeting clients, facilitating introductions, and getting clients excited for their tour.
- Assist the Schpeeler in collecting waivers, tickets and making sure all guests have signed waivers.
- Responsible for communicating all incidents to Haines Program Manager.
- Guest Safety first, then *Entertain guests, *Educate guests, and last but not least *Engage guests with questions.
- Maintain the safety of guests at all times.
- Must at all times be clean, well-groomed, courteous, honest and reliable.
- Must possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate, strong, and energetic.
- Must possess the desire to continually improve his/her knowledge and skills.
- Must be willing to work as a strong team member, assisting in the maintenance of group morale.
- Help guides at the put in and take out with getting boots and PFDs to/from guests.
- Help the guides load and unload guests and gear throughout the trips.
- Help Gear Truck Driver set up and take down put-in, take-out and lunch scene equipment.
- Follow a tight time schedule and be on time with your trips.
- Assist with other jobs/projects as needed by CG administration, this may include but is not limited to:
- Assisting with food prep for cruise program.
- Associated program maintenance needs.
- Non-CDL driving of passengers or equipment. * Assist with grounds/lodging maintenance, cleaning, and general support.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Have and maintain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement. Some Skagway CDL positions may only require a Class C CDL.
- Pass FMCSA required pre-employment drug tests & screening.
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
- Must possess a valid passport and be able to enter Canada.
- Completion of CG Haines Driver training program (minimum of 8 hours).
- Must be willing to become certified or possess current certification in at least CPR and First Aid.
- Drivers must demonstrate the ability to set up all of the various site elements including tables, PFD’s, food and follow low impact guidelines in bear country.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout each day.
- Must be able to carry loads over uneven ground.
- Be able to maintain a tight schedule-ensure your group stays on schedule throughout all aspects of the tour.
- Prior guiding, leadership, and tourism experience are helpful.
- Possess a friendly, outgoing, professional demeanor at all times during interactions with guests and other CG employees.
- Good leadership skills, ability to communicate and facilitate groups up to 30 people.
- Must possess a strong work ethic.
- Follow CG policies and procedures at all times.
Upon your arrival in Haines, you will receive an Employee Handbook. You will also need to complete all U.S. employment and FMCSA required paperwork.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please visit our website to fill out an application. Email us an application, cover letter, and resume. We will formally begin the application review process at that point and contact you thereafter.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $14.00 per hour
Related Jobs (14)
- 2021 Summer – Canoe Naturalist + CDL Driver – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal
- 2021 Summer – Tour Services Representative (Dock Rep) – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal
- 2021 Summer – Raft Guide – Hike & Float Guide – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Freelance
- 2021 – Skilled Mountain/ Expedition Guide – Haines, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal