Alaska Mountain Guides
The Skagway Guide’s main responsibility is to carry out the company’s mission of providing clients with a safe, enjoyable, and educational wilderness experience. This position is best thought of as a “utility guide” position, where the guide will lead a variety of tours. Schedules and responsibilities will vary often in this position. A flexible attitude is crucial to the success and happiness of this guide. Our ultimate goal is satisfied passengers at the end of each trip.
Description of Guided Programs: Alpine Lake Canoe Adventure, Skagway Extended Summit Drive, various CDL driving
Alaska Mountain Guides Adventures currently multiple Skagway-based tours to cruise ship guests visiting during the summer season including the Alpine Lake Canoe Adventure and the Skagway Extended Summit Drive.
Now entering our sixteenth year of operation in Skagway, our third year operating the Alpine Lake Canoe Adventure and our second year operating the Skagway Extended Summit Drive, we see an enthusiasm for these tours unsurpassed in the outdoor recreation industry. AMG looks to our staff to progressively maintain the highest quality outdoor experiences for our guests.
General Overview of Tours:
The typical duration of a canoe tour is 4.5 hours, and the extended summit drive runs 5-6 hours in duration.
Canoe: Guests participating in one of our tours are greeted by their guides at one of the three cruise ship docks in Skagway and transported to the site in 15 passenger vans. During transit, the guide provides a variety of historical information about Skagway and the surrounding area in addition to information on the mountains, geology, and natural environment of the region. The guides will also introduce AMG, the company background, and the variety of trips and programs that are offered.
Once we reach the lake, guests unload in a parking area along the Klondike Highway and take a short hike to the lakeshore. Guests are issued rubber boot, PFDs, canoe paddle and fleece and rain ponchos (based on the weather). The guests then receive a safety briefing and instruction from the lead guide before boarding the 31 ft voyageur canoes. The guide gives paddle instructions and operates a 4 or 6 horsepower outboard motor to navigate the lake for about 2 hours. Refreshments and a snack are also included and consist of hot chocolate and a smoked salmon snack. The daily schedule allows for a guide to work up to three canoe trips in a day, although this scenario is unlikely.
Summit drive: Guest are met at the pier by the driver/guide. This is a narrated driving tour along the Klondike Highway to/from Carcross in the Yukon. Various roadside overlooks allow for multiple photo opportunities. Guides for this tour are expected to possess knowledge on a variety of topics in order to narrate and entertain guests for about 5 hours. We provide a bag lunch on this tour for all guests. Passports are required for guests and guides on this tour.
Other driving: As mentioned above, this position is best thought of as a “utility guide” position. The majority of alternate tasks would include driving 15 passenger vans and 24 passenger buses for our Klondike Rock Climbing & Rappelling Adventure and our Adventure Park & Zip Line Adventure. Other tasks may include office support, dock repping (gathering other tours on the pier), and other miscellaneous tasks.
Skagway Specific Employee Information:
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for safety and satisfaction of each of his/her passengers throughout entire duration of tour.
- Responsible for following a strict daily schedule.
- Responsible for cleanliness and excellent maintenance of gear and vehicle.
- Responsible for communicating all incidents to Skagway manager as soon as possible.
- Responsible for communicating all gear and vehicle issues to manager.
- Must be a good communicator with the willingness to teach and entertain his/her guests.
- Must possess the desire to continually improve his/her knowledge and skills.
- Must at all times be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, and reliable.
- Must possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate, strong, and energetic.
- Must be willing to work as a strong team member, assisting in the maintenance of group morale.
- Responsible for entering hours daily in our online timeclock program Timeforce.
- The Skagway Guide reports to the Skagway Site Manager, Operations Manager and Director.
Experience Required to Perform Job Requirements
- Prior guiding, leadership, and tourism experience helpful.
- Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds repeatedly throughout each day.
- Must be able to carry loads over uneven ground
- Must possess strong work ethic.
- Must be punctual.
- Must be organized.
- Must have great, positive attitude.
- Must be comfortable speaking to large groups of people.
- Must be able to handle multiple, simultaneous groups of guests.
- Must possess a valid U.S. Passport.
- Must be a currently certified WFR or WEMT.
- Must possess or be willing to acquire class B Commercial Driver License (CDL).
- Must obtain a valid Class B CDL and contribute to bus driving duties for these and other tours.
- Have and maintain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement.
- Pass FMCSA required pre-employment drug tests & screening.
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
- Complete AMG Skagway Driver training program.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please visit our website to fill out an application. Email us an application, cover letter and resume.We will formally begin the application review process at that point and contact you thereafter.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $10.50 per hour
Related Jobs (14)
- 2021 Summer – Tour Services Representative (Dock Rep) – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal
- 2021 Summer – Raft Guide – Hike & Float Guide – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Freelance
- 2021 – Skilled Mountain/ Expedition Guide – Haines, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal