Alaska Mountain Guides
Drive ATVs into the Alaskan wilderness. Scenic mountain and river view with wildlife viewing opportunities abound.
Your knowledgeable guide will meet you at the dock in Haines. A scenic 26-mile drive along the National Scenic Byway and through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve brings you to our remote staging area. At the staging area, you will receive an orientation and safety briefing on our ATVs from your guides. Guests wishing to drive must be at least 21 years old and bring a valid driver’s license. There is a combination of 2-person and 4-person machines to accommodate varying group sizes and families. There are several spots along the tour where we can swap drivers to give everyone some time at the wheel. The ATVs are automatic transmission and drive similar to a car for ease of operation. These high-performance ATVs are fun to drive and a great way to explore the Alaska wilderness.
Over the next 15 miles of gravel road, your guide will lead you through a series of remote areas, and we’ll explore the wilds of Alaska! As we drive along beaver ponds and mountain meadows we may spot swans, salmon, eagles, bears or moose along the way. We’ll cross over Little Salmon creek and ascend to a series of viewpoints overlooking the Klehini, Tsirku and Chilkat River Valleys.
From our high point, we’ll enjoy a picnic lunch while we bask in the surrounding mountain views. After lunch, we’ll descend the mountain and make our way back to our private staging area before returning by bus back to Haines.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Complete training *****all hard skills and training check-offs.
- Guest Safety first, then E*ntertain guests, Engage guests with questions, and last but not least, E*ducate guests about the area.
- Possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate, strong, and energetic.
- Maintain safety of guests at all times.
- Greet clients, facilitate introductions, get clients excited for riding.
- Collect waivers, tickets and make sure all guests have signed waivers.
- Outfit clients with helmets and any other applicable equipment (with instruction on wear and fit).
- Give safety talk and driving instructions – complete and sign safety talk checklist.
- Maintain group control and spacing while getting guests geared up and while riding.
- Help load, prepare, unload and de-rig gear while keeping the guests engaged.
- Be courteous and respectful of other users of the trail system. Yield to other vehicles and groups on the trail.
- Be respectful of any and all wildlife encountered on the trail.
- Follow a tight time schedule and be on time with your trips.
- Be able and willing to perform any basic vehicle maintenance necessary for ATV tour operations. Maintenance might include the following:
- Checking and topping off all fluids
- Tire swap and/or inflation
- Oil and Fluid changes
- Fuse replacement * Complete appropriate guide checklists at the end of each shift.
As a CDL Driver:
- Rotate shifts driving CDL buses in support of this and other tours. Have and maintain a clean driving record in order to be insured by AMG company automotive insurance.
- Maintain an FMCSA approved logbook for driving hours.
- Complete vehicle checklists as needed.
- Responsible for cleanliness and excellent maintenance of buses, tour equipment, and the locations that the tours visit.
- Responsible for communicating all gear and vehicle issues to maintenance staff.
- Complete appropriate driver checklists & paperwork at the end of each shift.
At all times:
- Assist with other jobs/projects as needed by AMG administration. This may include but is not limited to:
- Driving vehicles with guests or with our equipment.
- Cleaning/maintaining gear, vehicles, and warehouse.
- Assisting with grounds/lodging maintenance, cleaning and general support.
- Road maintenance & repair – clearing of vegetation, shoveling, or other ATV route maintenance * Must at all times be clean, well-groomed, courteous, honest and reliable.
- Must be willing to work as a strong team member, assisting in maintaining group morale.
- Must possess the desire to continually improve his or her knowledge and skills.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Possess a friendly, outgoing and professional demeanor at all times during interactions with the guests and other AMG employees.
- Follow AMG’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Good leadership skills, ability to communicate and facilitate groups up to 48 people.
- Proof of medical certification – minimum of basic first aid and CPR. Wilderness First Responder (WFR) is strongly preferred.
- The ability to carry up to 60 lbs. of gear repeatedly throughout the day.
- May occasionally need to assist the catering staff in preparing lunches for our cruise tour programs.
As an ATV Guide:
- Completion of AMG ATV program training. Training is generally 7 days but may be longer. Training will include policies and procedures, maintenance and emergency response. Initial guide training is unpaid.
- Attention to safety, including learning and appropriately demonstrating the ATV Safety Talk, driving safely and having awareness of weather and trail conditions.
- Ability to operate ATVs proficiently and have basic ATV maintenance abilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the trail system that will be used on tour. Have map skills. Be able to accurately name terrain features visible from the various overlooks on the trail.
- Be able to maintain a tight schedule – ensure your group stays on schedule throughout all aspects of the tour.
- Wear the appropriate company logo gear during the tour and follow the personal appearance guidelines.
- Make sure gear fits guests properly.
- Demonstrate the ability to set up various site elements including tables, helmets, food and the ability to follow low impact guidelines in bear country.
- Demonstrate clear understanding of both ATV operations and of group management skills as instructed in AMG training.
- Be able to perform basic ATV maintenance – fluid changes, fluid levels, tire swaps, and other basic maintenance
- Be willing and able to support ATV route and site maintenance. Potential for vegetative clearing, chain-sawing, shoveling, or other activities that enable a viable and quality guest experience.
For CDL Driving:
- Must obtain a valid Class B CDL and contribute to bus driving duties for these and other tours. Have and maintain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement.
- Pass FMCSA required pre-employment drug tests & screening.
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
- Completion of AMG Haines Driver training program (minimum of 8 hours).
Staff training will provide a foundation for you to build and enhance your guiding resume. It will also serve to put in place a set of standards that we expect all of our staff to maintain. In addition, you are required to complete guide training, develop a thorough comprehension of all program components, and receive a check-off on all systems before entering a paid role. Upon your arrival to Haines, you will receive applicable Guide Training Manuals. You will also complete all required U.S. employment paperwork and all CDL paperwork required by the Federal Motor Carrier Administration.
FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION COMPLIANCE:
Alaska Mountain Guides Adventures (AMG) and its sister companies comply with all applicable federal laws regarding CDL drivers and CDL operations. FMCSA regulations and AMG’s own policies and procedures ensure that our guests will receive the highest quality tours possible in terms of bus transportation safety. As a result of federal regulations, each Haines CDL Driver will be required to participate in an approved random drug testing program and also be required to complete and maintain some paperwork in addition to the regular employee paperwork for all other employees.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please visit our website to fill out an application. Email us an application, cover letter and resume. We will formally begin the application review process at that point and contact you thereafter.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $11.00 – $14.00 per hour
Related Jobs (14)
- 2021 Summer – Canoe Naturalist + CDL Driver – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal
- 2021 Summer – Tour Services Representative (Dock Rep) – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal
- 2021 Summer – Raft Guide – Hike & Float Guide – Skagway, AK on January 13, 2021 Freelance
- 2021 – Skilled Mountain/ Expedition Guide – Haines, AK on January 13, 2021 Seasonal