WHO WE ARE
At UnCruise, we work together to support and build a brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world. Sometimes that means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls with a local guide or snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, Costa Rica & Panama, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexico’s Sea of Cortes and Pacific Northwest. Every employee plays a major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the entire galley team in all food preparation and galley sanitation efforts; this includes prep, production, plate up, and clean-up of six meals per day (3 guest meals, 3 crew meals). This multi-tasking position will also assist in the preparation and service of baked goods, all crew meals, and must be capable of executing a variety of cooking skills on a daily basis. The Sous Chef will also spend time washing dishes, loading and storing food provisions, participating in galley cleaning, and other sanitation duties as assigned.
APPLY ONLINE: https://www.uncruise.com/apply
- Participate in the production and presentation of all guest meals.
- Create and prepare a variety of nutritious, fresh and creative crew meals, on time as scheduled.
- Execute standard recipes as directed by the Chef.
- Prepare entrees and crew meals for special diets such as gluten free, sugar free, and vegan, as directed by the Chef.
- Assist in galley clean up after every meal including dish area support and disposal of trash. Assist in maintaining proper food handling and storage procedures in accordance with CDC/FDA guidelines.
- Guest Interaction: Interact with guests in a friendly and courteous manner at all times. Escort guests to stateroom at start of cruise and assist in the handling of luggage. Participate in evening activities and in galley tour as directed by Chef or Hotel Manager.
Safety and Security:
- Comply with all CDC/FDA vessel sanitation requirements.
- Participate in on board safety training, meetings and drills as directed by the Captain; including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Maintain familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience cooking in a general kitchen or galley setting.
- Excellent knife skills and the ability to follow any recipe from start to finish.
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Must be hardworking, flexible and willing to communicate effectively with the Chef and other crew members.
- Able to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Experience with passenger vessels is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Comfortable living and working in close quarters with other crew members for many weeks at a time, with no days off.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- Alaska Food Handler Permit
- Washington Food Handler Permit (1)
- Oregon Food Handler Permit (1)
- STCW Crowd Management (2)
- Security Awareness or VPDSD (2)
- Medical Fitness Certificate (3)
- MARSEC Card (4)
- Valid TWIC (5)
- Required for Wilderness Discoverer and S.S. Legacy
- Required for Safari Voyager, Safari Endeavour and Safari Quest; preferred on other vessels. Company provided if needed.
- Required for Safari Voyager
- Required on Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary (If you do not currently have this, there will be a training once onboard)
- Company preferred for the Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Ability to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- ability to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch wide hatch.
Department: Galley | Job Type: Seasonal | Exemption Type: Non-Exempt
Related Jobs (10)
- Dining Room Manager, Glacier National Park, Summer 2019 on April 25, 2019 Seasonal