WHO WE ARE
At UnCruise, we work together to support and build a brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world. Sometimes that means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls with a local guide or snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, Costa Rica & Panama, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexico’s Sea of Cortes and Pacific Northwest. Every employee plays a major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Pastry Chef is responsible for overseeing all baking and related preparation and presentation (primarily breads, pastries and dessert). The Pastry Chef will also assist the Chef with preparing crew meals, preparing and presenting savory items, plate-up and galley cleaning as assigned. This includes some dishwashing responsibilities throughout the day.
APPLY ONLINE: https://www.uncruise.com/apply
- Plan and oversee the production and presentation of all breads, morning pastries, cookies and desserts.
- Prepare items for special diets as needed for vegan, gluten free, nut allergies, etc.
- Participate in the cooking and preparation of all types of food items including savory food items. The Pastry Chef may be asked to prep or cook meals in addition to their baking responsibility for the day.
- Assist the Chef(s) with plate-up and clean-up of breakfast, lunch and dinner daily; this includes supporting the dish station.
- Maintain accurate inventories to ensure appropriate stocking levels and proper rotation of perishable food stores; this includes the cleaning and organization of all storage areas in galley, freezer, refrigerator and storeroom. Work closely with the Chef to help create weekly orders based on inventory.
- Guest Interaction: Interact with guests in a friendly and courteous manner at all times. Escort guests to stateroom at start of cruise and assist in the handling of luggage. Participate in evening activities and in galley tour as directed by Chef or Hotel Manager.
Safety and Security:
- Comply with all CDC/FDA vessel sanitation requirements.
- Participate in on board safety training, meetings and drills as directed by the Captain; including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Maintain familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in a general kitchen or galley setting.
- Minimum of 2 years working with Pastries and Desserts.
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Must be hardworking, flexible and willing to communicate effectively with the Chef and other crew members.
- Able to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Experience with passenger vessels is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Comfortable living and working in close quarters with other crew members for many weeks at a time, with no days off.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- Alaska Food Handler Permit
- Washington Food Handler Permit (1)
- Oregon Food Handler Permit (1)
- STCW Crowd Management (2)
- Security Awareness or VPDSD (2)
- Medical Fitness Certificate (3)
- MARSEC Card (4)
- Valid TWIC (5)
(1) Required for Wilderness Discoverer and S.S. Legacy
(2) Required for Safari Voyager, Safari Endeavour and Safari Quest; preferred on other vessels. Company provided if needed.
(3) Required for Safari Voyager
(4) Required on Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary (If you do not currently have this, there will be a training once onboard)
(5) Company preferred for the Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Able to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- Able to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch wide hatch.
Department: Galley | Job Type: Seasonal | Exemption Type: Non-Exempt