WHO WE ARE
At UnCruise, we work together to support and build a brand that provides an enriching adventure travel experience that inspires an appreciation of local cultures and the natural world. Sometimes that means we kayak among icebergs, travel to hidden waterfalls with a local guide or snorkel with sea lions, dive with manta rays and share air with whales. Our destinations include Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, Costa Rica & Panama, Galapagos, Hawaiian Islands, Mexico’s Sea of Cortes and Pacific Northwest. Every employee plays a major role in bringing the adventure to life. When you join our team, you become an important part of our uniqueness.
The Galley Utility is a very physically demanding position primarily responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the dish station in the galley. He/she will be washing all pots, pans, silverware, service items, and glassware for each meal served on board (breakfast, lunch and dinner). The Galley Utility will be required to keep their work station clean and sanitary. The Galley Utility will also assist with general galley cleaning projects and basic food prep as assigned by the Chef or Hotel Manager.
APPLY ONLINE: https://www.uncruise.com/apply
- Dishwashing: Properly wash, rinse, soak, wash and sanitize each type of plate, silverware, pot, pan, utensil, and glassware using a commercial dishwashing machine.
- Galley sanitation: Assist with cleaning the galley after every meal. Assist in maintaining proper food handling and storage procedures in accordance with CDC/FDA guidelines. Assist with trash removal and disposal.
- Guest Interaction: Interact with guests in a friendly and courteous manner at all times. Escort guests to stateroom at start of cruise and assist in the handling of luggage. Participate in evening activities and in galley tour as directed by Chef or Hotel Manager.
- May be asked to participate in the cooking, preparation, or plate-up of food items as a member of the galley team.
Safety and Security:
- Comply with all CDC/FDA vessel sanitation requirements.
- Participate in on board safety training, meetings and drills as directed by the Captain; including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Maintain familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System including Emergency Response Activities.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a general kitchen or galley setting or possess a great, hard-working attitude and some experience with customer service.
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Must be flexible and willing to communicate effectively with the Chef and other crew members.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Comfortable living and working in close quarters with other crew members for many weeks at a time, with no days off.
Required Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Passport
- CPR / First Aid / AED
- Alaska Food Handler Permit
- Washington Food Handler Permit (1)
- Oregon Food Handler Permit (1)
- STCW Crowd Management (2)
- Security Awareness or VPDSD (2)
- MARSEC Card (3)
- Valid TWIC (4)
- Medical Fitness Certificate (5)
- Required for Wilderness Discoverer and S.S. Legacy
- Required for Safari Voyager, Safari Endeavour and Safari Quest; preferred on other vessels. Company provided if needed.
- Required on Safari Explorer Hawaii Itinerary (If you do not currently have, there will be a training once onboard)
- Company preferred for the Safari Explorer Hawaii itinerary
- Required for Safari Voyager
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Length of Work Shift- Physically able to work 12 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Rotations off the vessel are usually 2-3 weeks.
- Mobility- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling, crawling, and pushing/pulling. Must ascend and descend stairs and ladders, sometimes while carrying tools or objects. Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Handling/Strength- Able to handle, lift, and lower objects totaling 50 pounds between the ground/deck level to a height of about 4 to 6 feet, and able to repeat these movements. Able to carry these objects up to 100 feet continuously for 20 minutes.
- Environmental Conditions- Able to work in all weather conditions, around loud noise, in small spaces, and fit through a 28-inch wide hatch.
Department: Galley | Job Type: Seasonal | Exemption Type: Non-Exempt