North Pacific Groundfish Observer Program (NPGOP)
Agency/Location: AIS, Inc. (contractor to NMFS). Positions located in ports along the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea.
Responsibilities: Work at sea collecting and recording fish catch/discard and biological samples for the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) aboard commercial fishing vessels. Observers record detailed information on the gear and fishing activity of the vessels. Vessels range from 40 – 125 ft. and trips can last from 2 – 14 days. After attending a 1 – 3 week paid training course, observers are deployed from ports throughout the Bering Sea and the Gulf of Alaska.
Compensation: Starting rates are $16.00 per hour plus health/dental insurance/vision, vacation, sick and holiday benefits. Experienced observers may be paid at higher rates depending on qualifications and experience. Overtime is paid for hours worked in excess of 8 hours in a day or 40 hours in a week.
- Bachelors degree in Biology or other natural science is required including:
- 30 semester hours of biological coursework
- at least 1 course that required extensive use of dichotomous keys
- 5 semester hours of mathematics consisting of at least 1 math course and 1 statistics course
- You must be US Citizen
- Previous observer experience and sea and fish research experience strongly preferred
- A valid driver’s license is required
Contact: If you would like to apply, please click the Aplly Button at the top or bottom to submit the required information. All of the following documents must be submitted in order for your application to be considered:
- Cover letter
- A minimum of 5 professional references (name, email address, and phone number must be included)
- Unofficial transcript(s) – please be sure to include additional transcripts for any transferred credits and/or undergrad degree if applicable.
Closing: Open until filled. One training class is scheduled to start on August 6th, 2018. Additional trainings may be held at a later date.
• VEVRAA Federal Contractor
• Request Priority Protected Veteran Referrals
• Equal Opportunity Employer
• Additional questions regarding the position can be directed to Monet N. Viens, HR Manager at 508-990-9054.
• For more information please visit the AIS, Inc. website www.aisobservers.com
Related Jobs (8)
US Army Corps Of Engineers- Trails & GIS Team Supervisor on July 9, 2018 Seasonal