Southwest Conservation Corps
- Title: Veterans Fire Corps Crew Member
Locations: Durango, CO
Dates: March 16th – End of July 2020
Wages: $400 / week and $2,255 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of the program.
- S-212 Chainsaw Certification
- Colorado Fire Camp Training & Certifications: S-130 & S-190, Firefighter Training and Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior. IS100b, Intro to Incident Command System. IS700, National Incident Management System.
- First Aid & CPR
- Uniforms, Personal Protective Equipment and Food while in field
The Southwest Conservation Corps’ Veterans Fire Corps (VFC) program provides training and on-the-job experience for post 9-11 era veterans interested in entering careers and gaining experience in natural resource management, fuels mitigation and wildland firefighting. This variation of our Field Crew program follows a similar schedule with crews working a “hitch” schedule of 8 days on and 6 days off. You are expected to camp, work, and live with your crew while on hitch. Housing is not provided on days off. Applicants must have military veteran status.
- A Veterans Fire Corps Crew Member will participate in a cohort environment in which a team of recent era Veterans work together to train and complete natural resource management projects, specifically related to fire fuels management and fuels reduction. A VFC member’s training will focus on gaining conservation and forestry skills, specifically the use of hand tools and the operation of chainsaws. Members will go to Colorado Fire Camp or the US Forest Service to earn S130- Firefighter Training, S190- Intro to Wildland Fire Behavior, S212- Wildland Fire Chainsaws, IS100b- Intro to Incident Command System, and IS700a-National Incident Management System, as well as First Aid/CPR.
Visit our website to learn more about each position available and apply!
Related Jobs (15)
- Veteran’s Fire Corps Crew Leader Development Program on November 13, 2019 Seasonal
- Dolores River Restoration Partnership (DRRP) Strike Team Leader on November 13, 2019 Seasonal
- Adult Crew Leaders & Crew Leaders in Development Program (CLDP) on November 8, 2019 Seasonal