This job has been Expired
Sierra Institute for Community and Environment
Position Overview:The Sierra Institute for Community and Environment is seeking four dynamic individuals with excellent leadership skills to lead diverse groups of high school-aged students in a variety of restoration and resource management projects as part of its youth corps program: Plumas Conservation Restoration & Education in Watersheds (P-CREW). Group Leaders are responsible for managing twelve, 10th-12thgrade teens for two five-week sessions while supporting restoration efforts on the Plumas and Lassen National Forests and adjacent lands in the Northern Sierra. Participants do not go home during the five weeks, so crew leaders are on full time. Under the guidance of Sierra Institute’s P-CREW Program Manager, Program Assistant, and Assistant Coordinator, the Group Leaders will work with professional resource project partners to complete projects with students, such as fuel reduction, trail maintenance, fencing and invasive species removal. The Group Leaders will be experienced outdoor professionals with the skills and interests to serve as excellent role models with an exemplary work ethicand the desire to devote themselves to a crew experience where the needs of others are placed above oneself.This is a unique opportunity to make a difference and be part of a growing, innovative program.
One of the twelve crew members will be an Alumni “All-Star” Assistant, a youth who has successfully completed a P-CREW session and is returning to gain more leadership experience. Group Leaders will manage the Alumni All-Star Assistant and help them advance in a leadership role. This is a leader in training position.
The Sierra Institute is located in rural Taylorsville, CAsurrounded by millions of acres of national forest. Group Leaders will be camping in the field with program participants; tent space will be provided during training and close out. The salary for the Group Leader is $675 per week (with the opportunity to earn more DOE) for the 10-week summer season, and$440 for training and close out weeks. Meals are provided when in the field (approximately 10 of 12 weeks). This position will be part of a team of three field staff, which includes a second team Leader and an Alumni All-Star Assistant. All Crew Leaders have to pass a background check.
Program Background: P-CREW provides opportunities for urban and rural teens to restore the environment, learn about natural resource management, gain job skills, and disconnect from technology while they camp for five consecutive weeks working 40 hours a week on projects that benefit the environment. P-CREW is a unique summer program that actively works towards breaking down social barriers by embracing diversity. P-CREW runs two crews simultaneously and four throughout the summer.
- Wilderness First Aid certification
- Experience working with high school 10th-12thgraders (ages 15-18), including one season of experience with responsibilities similar to this position
- Clean driving record with the ability to safely drive a SUV with trailer or a 6 passenger pickup truck on windy, dirt roads with participants
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in Outdoor Recreation Leadership, Natural Resources or similar program with teaching experience, and or experience working with groups on conservation and/or natural resource restoration projects or equivalent work experience
- Experience managing a camp kitchen
- Excellent leadership skills, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor
- Teambuilding facilitation experience
- Backcountry experience
- Excellent problem-solving ability and confidence adapting “on-the-fly” in field situations
- Extreme flexibility and adaptability (camp, project, or recreation locations/activities could change the night before) and time management skills
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of high school age participants in unpredictable back and front country settings
- Willing to work long hours, and be responsible for crew 24 hours a day/7 days per week in the field and at camp.
- Wilderness First Responder certification
- 2+ years leading youth corps crews
- Lifeguard Certificate
- Experience in conflict management and leading group debriefs
- Class B driver license
Responsibilities and Duties– Including but not limited to:
- Successfully completing conservation projects on time and motivating the crew
- Driving crews to and from work and camp sites safely
- Creating a safe environment for youth to grow while managing group dynamics
- Capturing before and after photos of projects, and taking pictures of the crew at work and camp
- Teaching meal planning and cooking skills to the crew
- Completing daily and weekly paperwork (Project Accomplishments, Incident Reports, Daily Entries, etc.)
- Teaching students LNT principles and ensuring that they maintain a safe and clean camp
- Teaching educational lessons with the aid of a curriculum
- Leading recreation trips on weekends; some planning is involved
- Conducting personal check ins and mid-session evaluations with crew members and support staff
- Administering first aid and keeping detailed records
- Leading evening debriefs and teambuilding activities
- Responsible for the proper and safe treatment of all P-CREW gear and equipment
Tentative start and end dates: June 3, 2019- August 30, 2019
To Apply: Please send a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and reason(s) for interest in the position, resume, and contact information for three references as one document. Submit application materials to [email protected]with P-CREW in subject line or mail application materials to: P-CREW, Sierra Institute for Community and Environment, P.O. Box 11, Taylorsville CA 95983. Application deadline March 21, 2019 or until position is filled.
Related Jobs (41)
- Dolores River Restoration Strike Team Crew Member – Colorado on January 17, 2020 Seasonal
- Aquatic Ecological Monitoring Crew Member – New Mexico on January 15, 2020 Seasonal
- Aquatic Ecological Monitoring Crew Leader – New Mexico on January 15, 2020 Seasonal
- Youth Conservation Crew Leader – Durango and Salida, CO on January 14, 2020 Seasonal
- Volunteer with Loggerhead sea turtle hatchlings in Cape Verde on January 14, 2020 Volunteer
- Volunteer with Loggerhead Sea Turtles in Cape Verde on January 14, 2020 Volunteer