This job has been Expired
Sand County Foundation
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Director: Agricultural Conservation will work directly with the Foundation’s President, leading development and implementation of a strategy to expand the role of farmers, ranchers and foresters in improving conservation. Your focus will include initiatives around healthy soils, water quality, and wildlife habitat. You will initially supervise a small staff, with room to grow. We expect the program will operate through the following strategies but are open to innovations you would bring to our work: building capacity among landowners and alliances to expand deployment of conservation tools and technology; assessing science and helping apply it to advance conservation and farm interests; creating economic advantages for conservation and promoting models of integrated agriculture that build resilience and profitability. We seek candidates with executive level capacity, a strong network of industry, foundation and government contacts, and a proven ability to envision, build and finance nationally significant program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Envision opportunities to engage landowners in leading conservation achievements.
2. Define and pursue on-the-ground strategies, research, and demonstration projects directly
involving agricultural producers which generate useful information for landowners.
3. Lead the Agricultural Conservation team (currently 4 other members) and collaborate closely with other Foundation program, executive staff, strategic partners, and board.
4. Work with the SCF communication team to identify and promote exemplary land stewards and conservation models arising from working land.
5. With the support of the Sand County Foundation President & CEO, Vice President of External Relations and lead consultants, conduct fundraising sufficient to fulfill annual work plans and long-term strategy.
6. Manage relationships with corporate, government, academic and other external partners so as to enhance SCF’s reputation as a reliable and effective conservation organization.
1. Ability to recognize and develop innovations that advance conservation outcomes and farm economic viability.
2. Working knowledge of and experience in agriculture and conservation, and established relationships with individuals working in agriculture sustainability and conservation.
3. Entrepreneurial vision with eagerness and passion for the mission, goals, and core values of Sand County Foundation.
4. Proven leadership skills and initiative. Capable of cultivating and maintaining effective working relationships with landowners and managers, funders, elected officials, the business community, staff members, and the general public.
5. Experience leading a small team of professionals.
6. Track record of successful fundraising from public and private sectors, including grant writing and securing sponsorships.
7. Proven people skills including high levels of patience, perseverance, and political savvy, with the ability to use diplomacy to diffuse difficult situations.
8. Proven ability to plan and achieve goals, think analytically and solve problems, along with a strong drive for achieving measurable land and water improvements.
9. Project budget management experience.
10. Outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills.
11. Ability to manage by influence, flexible mindset and positive attitude.
12. Affinity to land and the people living and working on their land.
13. Willingness and ability to travel.
Reports To: President & CEO
Interacts With: All personnel at various management levels within Sand County Foundation and numerous outside partners and funders.
Sand County Foundation offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and independently verified market comparables, as well as providing a generous benefits package.
This position requires periodic travel to project sites, farms, conferences, and events sponsored by Sand County Foundation and other organizations. Work other than travel is done in an office environment at Sand County Foundation’s Madison office.
Related Jobs (21)
- Adventure Camp Counselor (Expedition Leader) in Colorado on March 1, 2019 Seasonal