This job has been Expired
UHCL: Environmental Institute of Houston
The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (CPA) has contracted EIH at the University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) to evaluate distribution and habitat associations of western chicken turtles across Texas. This study will provide the CPA and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) data for direct use in wildlife population management decisions. We are currently recruiting 1-2 positions to assist with field sampling with dates ranging from March-August, 2020; start and end dates flexible depending on availability. All work will be based out of Houston, but extensive travel is required to conduct field work throughout central and east Texas. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable field experience collecting environmental DNA (eDNA) samples, conducting herpetological field surveys, and analyzing data related to conservation and wildlife management.
LOCATION: Based in Houston, TX; includes travel throughout central and east Texas
SALARY: Starting at $1,200/month (full-time, non-benefits eligible); only room & board included for travel
Applicants should be pursuing or possess a Bachelor’s degree in natural resource management, wildlife management, biology, environmental science or a closely related field. Applicants must be willing to travel; the selected intern(s) will need to have a location to stay nearby UHCL.
- Travel up to 14 days at a time and work long hours (10+) in the field during high-heat, summer months
- Be in good physical condition (able to lift and carry 50+ lbs.)
- Must possess a positive attitude and be willing to work independently as well as a member of a team
- Previous field experience in biology, ecology, wildlife management, or a closely related topic
- Experience in water collection, herpetological surveys, and/or driving/trailering small vessels (< 25 ft.)
- Field sampling techniques including hoop traps, pit-fall traps, etc.; experience with freshwater turtle identification; water sampling (especially eDNA)
Additional Notes All applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and be physically able to drive university vehicles. Applicants must pass a criminal background and motor vehicle background check prior to hiring. This is not a benefits eligible position.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, & contact information for 3 references to Mandi Gordon ([email protected]).