This job has been Expired
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting new independent marine biotechnology research institute that is applying innovative genomic technologies to marine science for discoveries that impact fisheries and human health. GMGI has a full-time position for a Research Associate who will play an important role in contributing to GMGI’s marine genomics and fisheries research programs.
The successful candidate must be familiar with molecular ecology and genomics laboratory methods as well as bioinformatics data analysis. The candidate must be capable of working independently to design experiments, generate high quality data and analyze results for a variety of marine genomic projects directed by GMGI scientists. Experience with collection and processing of fisheries samples, analysis of environmental DNA for assessing biodiversity and abundance, and genome-wide SNP identification is highly desirable. This position is an extraordinary opportunity for an ambitious and entrepreneurial person who is interested in helping to create a world-class research institute.
- Design and execute experiments using molecular biology/genomics techniques
- DNA/RNA isolations and quantification, PCR, qPCR
- Next-generation sequencing using the Illumina platform
- Analyze genomic data with good knowledge of basic bioinformatics and statistics
- Identification of SNPs associated with specific traits and/or populations
- Develop protocols for assessing diversity and abundance from eDNA samples
- Prepare reports as requested and contribute to grant proposals and manuscripts
- Background reading suited to individual projects
- Training of staff or interns on research techniques as required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biology, molecular biology, marine biology, environmental science, or related fields
- Background in marine science and/or fisheries research
- Background with common fisheries issues and assessment methods
- Experience generating and analyzing genomic data
- Experience in SNP identification and/or environmental DNA methodology
- Capable of planning and executing experiments with minimal supervision
- Experience working with modern molecular biology/genomics instruments
- Basic knowledge of languages for biological data analysis (e.g. Perl, Python, R)
- Familiarity with the Linux environment
- Excellent writing and documentation skills
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Integrity towards scientific research and data quality
- Capable of working in a start-up environment, with work changing to adapt to needs
- Enthusiasm and commitment to GMGI’s mission for science and education
- Self-starting, independent, creative thinker with strong problem solving skills
This position requires the desire, persistence and ability to work in a start-up environment and to help build a transformative research institute.
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an independent marine biotechnology research institute. Founded in 2013 by three prominent scientist entrepreneurs, with legendary experience in the biotechnology field, GMGI is positioned to influence a new era of discovery and innovation in marine science.
It is envisioned that GMGI will evolve into an eminent research institute focused on using the power of “omics” technologies to promote sustainable fisheries and uncover new discoveries in biomedicine and biotechnology. These new opportunities will enable formation of startup companies, leveraging any resulting intellectual property and innovations, and produce a powerful economic driver that will sustain the future Cape Ann economy and offer the region’s citizens exciting new career paths. In addition, GMGI has launched a biotechnology training academy and is committed to establishing beautiful Cape Ann as a world-class science hub.
Related Jobs (24)
- ACE BLM Direct Hire Authority Internship Opportunities on February 14, 2019 Internship
- Coastal Education Intern / Marine Fish Tagging Intern on February 11, 2019 Internship