Maine Conservation Corps
Are you ready to take the next step in outdoor leadership? Would you like to dig into the nuances of technical trail work? If the answer is yes, then a Team Leader position is for you! Get paid to develop your skills during 9-15 weeks of leadership and technical skills training. Then, put your skills to the test leading a field team to accomplish conservation projects and network with environmental professionals across Maine. Be a teacher and mentor for those new to the challenges and rewards of living and serving in the outdoors, while making a positive impact in local communities.
Start Date: The Team Leader Position has two different start dates.
- February 24th: For Team Leaders interested in our longer, more extensive training program. During this 15-week program, trainees are 450-hour AmeriCorps members.
- April 6th: For highly qualified Team Leaders who are interested in a shorter, hard skills-based training. This program is not an AmeriCorps position, although you will be working alongside AmeriCorps members during the 9-week training program.
End Date: October 16, 2020
Full time, 40+ hours a week. It is typical to have a varied schedule. Overnights, weekends, training and service days required.
The first 9-15 weeks of training will cover essential hard and soft skills of Field Team leadership. Members will complete conservation projects as part of a team of fellow Team Leader-trainees. The following topics will be covered:
Wilderness First Responder (Feb. start only), Mental Health First Aid, chainsaw safety training, rigging training, sustainable trail building, building with stone and timber, backcountry camping skills, inclusivity training, non-violent communication, project management, job readiness training
A successful member of Team Leader Training will assume the key responsibilities of a MCC Field Team Leader. This role provides direct leadership, mentorship, and training for an MCC field team during the field seasons. You can expect to work on physically challenging conservation projects in any kind of weather. MCC Team Leaders perform many roles and are the key to our program’s success. The position is multi-faceted and demanding but has the opportunity for enormous rewards.
- (February start only) Must be eligible for AmeriCorps Education Award
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must submit to criminal and sex offender background checks
- Previous outdoor leadership or project management experience
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- High level of comfort in the outdoors
- Interest in serving with a diverse group of people
- Interest in personal growth
- Drivers license and clean driving record
- Previous trail construction experience
- Backcountry living experience
- Experience with GPS/GIS
- Experience with power tools and hand tools including chainsaws, and rigging equipment
- Experience working with or alongside heavy trail machinery such as a tractor, loader, or mini-excavator
- Team Leaders starting in February are 450-hour AmeriCorps members during the 15-week training and will receive an education award of $1,612.43. Team Leaders starting in April are not AmeriCorps members.
- AmeriCorps members may also be eligible for student loan deferment and childcare reimbursement.
- All Leaders will receive a weekly living allowance of $250 (less taxes) during training.
- Living allowances range from $440-475 per week upon successful completion of training.
- Other benefits include health insurance, pro-deals, Maine State Park Pass, paid training, and a wide range of networking opportunities.
MCC Office: 54 Independence Drive, Augusta, ME 04330
Training typically takes place in the Augusta area; field work is conducted throughout Maine.
Housing: Will be provided during the training period. Housing varies from rustic cabins at to tent camping. Expect to move locations throughout training.
To Apply: By December 1st, 2019 submit an MCC Application, Certifications, and References. Please email [email protected] for questions and information
Related Jobs (15)
- Veteran’s Fire Corps Crew Leader Development Program on November 13, 2019 Seasonal
- Dolores River Restoration Partnership (DRRP) Strike Team Leader on November 13, 2019 Seasonal
- Adult Crew Leaders & Crew Leaders in Development Program (CLDP) on November 8, 2019 Seasonal