This job has been Expired
Vermont Youth Conservation Corps
Our Fall Conservation Spike (camping) AmeriCorps Crews start on August 22, 2019 and work until October 29, 2019. These members are AmeriCorps 450 hour Crew Members. VYCC Spike Crews are staffed with 3-6 Crew Members (all young adults) and two Crew Leaders. These are a residential crews camping near their work-site for 4-week sessions. Each session is broken up with a “recharge week”, where the Crew Members are able to take 5-7 days off. During each session break, VYCC provides education and training opportunities, such as Wilderness First Aid Certifications, if Corps Members want to join.
We are hiring for three conservation crews this fall:
- Appalachian Trail Crew – This crew will work along the 100+ year old Appalachian Trail camping along the way. This crew will work on a variety of trail projects from rock work and stone staircases to trail clearing and maintenance.
- Fall Trail Crew – This crew will be working both in the Green (VT) and White (NH) Mountains, working from ridge lines to mountain bike trails. This crew will build new trails as well as improve current trail systems.
- Parks Restoration Crew – A focus on carpentry projects with a few masonry projects throughout Vermont. This crew will work to restore historic infrastructure and build new structures with Vermont’s Forest Parks and Recreation Department. This is a residential crew that camps out near their worksite.
Job Duties :
- Serve 8-10 hours per day completing physically demanding tasks and projects.
- Camp and live in a variety of outdoor settings with a diverse crew of 6-8 people.
- This crew may complete projects related to:
- Trail construction and maintenance including drainages, rock staircases, retaining walls, and step stones
- Watershed restoration
- Carpentry including bridges, kiosks, and staircases
- Invasive species removal
- Participate in the WoRD program (writing, reading, and discussion), VYCC’s educational component meant to generate group discussion and individual reflection
- Participate in orientation, pre-season training, and scheduled trainings throughout term of service.
- Adhere to the policies and practices put forth by VYCC and AmeriCorps.
- Over 18 years of age.
- A desire to do your part and change the world with us.
- Openness to learning, working hard outside, meeting new people, and receiving feedback.
- Willingness and commitment to following all immediate and general crew policies.
- Able to join a crew for the full season/term of service.
- Weekly stipend of $250, paid bi-weekly
- AmeriCorps Segal Education Award of $1,566.14 (based on number of hours served)
- Transportation at beginning and end of Corps Members’ term of service and transportation during sessions.
- Recreation and Educational opportunities throughout session and during session breaks, including Wilderness First Aid Certifications.
- Access to our robust Alumni network for career, college, and general networking connections.
- Career and college pathway support and counseling.
- Awesome “office” views of the Green Mountains and valleys.
- Member of a dynamic organization with tremendous impact on Vermont’s youth and environment.
- Farm fresh food from our farm!
Related Jobs (41)
- Dolores River Restoration Strike Team Crew Member – Colorado on January 17, 2020 Seasonal
- Aquatic Ecological Monitoring Crew Member – New Mexico on January 15, 2020 Seasonal
- Aquatic Ecological Monitoring Crew Leader – New Mexico on January 15, 2020 Seasonal
- Youth Conservation Crew Leader – Durango and Salida, CO on January 14, 2020 Seasonal
- Volunteer with Loggerhead sea turtle hatchlings in Cape Verde on January 14, 2020 Volunteer
- Volunteer with Loggerhead Sea Turtles in Cape Verde on January 14, 2020 Volunteer