This job has been Expired
The Reef-World Foundation
Hi! We’re The Reef-World Foundation: a registered UK charity which delivers practical solutions for marine conservation around the world. In partnership with the UN Environment, we are the international coordinator of the Green Fins initiative, which aims to protect and conserve coral reefs through environmentally friendly guidelines that promote a sustainable diving and snorkelling tourism industry.
Our work involves supporting, inspiring and empowering governments, businesses, communities and individuals around the world to act in conserving and sustainably developing coral reefs and other coastal resources. We’re currently looking for someone with graphic design and social media experience to join the team to support our marketing, communications and design work. This 6-month internship programme includes accommodation, return international flights (up to £700) and professional development support.
Timings: 6 months starting September 2019
As our Design and Communications Intern, you will directly support our Communications Manager and will be responsible for:
- Creating and updating posters, logos, fact sheets, maps, infographics and other marketing materials and assets to help educate and empower dive operators, tourists, governments and corporate partners to reduce their environmental impact and protect coral reefs
- Creating a new Brand Book and Communications Guidelines document, with the support of the Communications Manager
- Day-to-day management of Reef-World and Green Fins social media, which will include successfully using insights to improve reach and engagement across channels
- Supporting in the promotion and marketing of projects and delivery of communications commitments in collaboration with the Communications Manager
- Development of website, video and blog content
- Maintaining the Reef-World media database and liaising with journalists and bloggers to secure positive, on-message press coverage for the charity
- Supporting effective communication between Reef-World staff and international partners
- Production and printing of Green Fins materials, as required
- Please note, your duties may vary from time to time and be reasonably modified as necessary to meet the charity’s requirements
What we’re looking for:
Working closely with our Communications Manager, your varied role will give you solid experience across graphic design and marketing disciplines. You will be:
- A motivated and hard-working recent graduate with solid graphic design skills and access to Photoshop and Illustrator
- Keen to maximise this professional development opportunity and gain solid design and marketing experience to add to your portfolio
- A team player and strong communicator
- Able to commit to the full-time position in the Philippines for the entire six months
- Open to new experiences and adaptable to the challenges of working in a developing country
- Confident in using and managing social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn)
- Passionate about marine conservation
- Ideally, a certified scuba diver with a minimum of 50 logged dives
- A native / fluent English speaker; other languages are a bonus
- While not essential, copywriting, journalism or PR experience would be beneficial
While this placement is unpaid, you will benefit from:
- Valuable professional experience with a global marine conservation charity
- The opportunity to build an extensive design and marketing portfolio
- Experience working on campaigns with world-leading organisations such as the United Nations, PADI, Fourth Element and more!
- Accommodation in the Reef-World office, which is centrally located, not far from the airport.
- Return flights from your home country (up to £700)
- Annual leave allocation dependent on the length of your stay
- Set up support from the team when arriving in destination (e.g. showing you around the city, explaining how to get a new sim card, extend your visa, where you can buy different items etc.)
- Certified scuba divers with a minimum of 50 logged may have the opportunity to join the team in some of our field work, dependent on logistics and dates
Life in Dumaguete
This internship is based in Dumaguete: a small coastal city on Negros Island in the southern Philippines. Dumaguete itself has shops, restaurants, cafes, markets and even a couple of yoga studios. Your professional placement with Reef-World be during office hours (Mon-Fri, 9-5.30 with a 1.5 hour lunch break); however, there are several tourist hotspots nearby to explore during the weekends: Apo Island (with its beautiful coral reefs and healthy turtle population), Siquijor, the Twin Lakes, Manjuyod Sandbar and Casaroro falls (to name just a few). If you’re interested in exploring the rest of the Philippines, we recommend adding a couple of weeks’ independent travel onto the beginning or end of your stay. While there are lots of amenities on hand, do be prepared for the challenges associated with working in a developing country such as slower internet speeds, occasional power outages and cultural differences.