Colorado State University
Title: Data Collector
Locations: Lewisville Lake and Joe Pool Lake, Texas
Summary: Earn extra money working only a few weekends this summer while gaining official data collection experience.Qualified candidates will be trained by professional social scientists to collect quantitative and qualitative data on boater use at Lewisville Lake and Joe Pool Lake during the summer of 2019.
About the Project:
Outdoor recreation is one of the most common ways people experience their public lands. Understanding current recreational use and visitor experiences is critical to effectively manage public resources and provide for safe and positive recreational experiences into the future. Researchers from Colorado State University (CSU) will be conducting a Recreational Boater Survey at Lewisville Lake and Joe Pool Lake during the summer of 2019. This project is a collaboration between CSU, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and partners affiliated with Lewisville and Joe Pool Lakes.
CSU is looking seeking qualified candidates to collect data for these Recreational Boater Surveys. Selected data collectors will be required to complete two days of training and three full days of data collection (including two Sundays and one Federal holiday). It is estimated that data collectors will be required to work approximately 48 hours over the course of the project. However, data collection is contingent on lake and weather conditions which means scheduled sampling days may be cancelled or postponed. Multiple potential sampling dates are scheduled to accommodate this uncertainty. Candidates must be available for all potential sampling days.
- Training: Saturday May 25 and Sunday May 26. Candidates must be available to attend training (location TBD).
- Potential Sampling Days: Monday May 27, Sunday June 9, Sunday June 16, Sunday June 23, Sunday June 30, Thursday July 4, Sunday July 7, and Sunday July 14. Candidates must be available for all potential sampling days; however, data collection will only take place on three occasions.
- Transportation:Candidates must be able to ensure their own transportation to training and sampling locations. Applicants may indicate if assignment to either Lewisville Lake or Joe Pool Lake is preferred.
- Ability:Candidates must be physically able to be continually active while moving between and around assigned locations quickly, for up to 10-hours while working outdoors in summer conditions.
- Experience:Candidates should have experience conducting field research, implementing surveys, and/or have completed coursework in statistics, data collection, and/or quantitative research.
- Desired Skills:Attention to detail, strong communication skills, ability to follow instructions, positive-attitude, punctuality, adaptability, critical thinking, and ability to collect precise and accurate data.
Compensation is a fixed stipend of $850. Data collectors will be compensated in full following the completion of all required data collection. An additional sum will be awarded to data collectors who are able to provide transportation for themselves and team members between sampling locations.
How to Apply:
Please e-mail your resume and a statement of qualifications addressing each requirement and describing why you are interested in this opportunity to [email protected] before May 10, 2019. Please indicate if you are capable and willing to provide transportation for you and your team between sampling locations with your personal vehicle (additional compensation is available for selected drivers).