This job has been Expired
We are looking for a visionary administrator and educator to lead Kroka semester programs – a bold experiment in contextual experiential education – serving 25-35 students each year with a unique college-accredited curriculum. We seek a mature professional who will embrace Kroka’s mission and work within our community.
If you believe:
- The best education is oriented towards community rather than the individual
- Teenagers thrive on high expectations and real-life responsibilities
- Students learn best through experience; splitting firewood, milking cows and shoveling snow are equally important to classroom study
- Engaging with nature through observation and use of natural resources is a viable methodology for learning
- A positive future is attainable through harnessing our willpower for good
And if you are:
- An educator with broad life experience
- Ready to lead, teach, mentor, council, guide, coach, mediate and inspire youth ages 16 – 20 before, during and after regular daylight hours
- An avid outdoors person with passion for healthy risk-taking in nature
- A systems oriented administrator who is fast on computer, clear on paper, and effective on the phone
- Someone who can take a vision from ideas to reality while upholding a unique mission
- Excited about joining a residential working community where farm chores are a part of daily life!
- Then you may be ready to take charge of Kroka’s flagship semester program, a one-of-its-kind educational experiment, unique amongst semester schools nation-wide.
- work in a team to market, enroll and support two semester programs a year.
- interview students, make admissions decisions, support families through the program preparation process
- prepare equipment and logistics for the duration of the program
- supervise a small staff team to create and deliver integrated curriculum and manage group dynamics
- Work with the accrediting agency and our school and college partners to maintain and improve the program’s credibility
- Teaching a minimum of two weeks in each season (winter, spring, summer, fall) including field teaching and expedition leadership
The ideal candidate brings a balance of expedition, teaching and administrative experience. As a semester coordinator at Kroka you have the opportunity to make a measurable positive change in the lives of young people. The rewards are many and so are the challenges.