Alaska Mountain Guides
The office admin’s main responsibility is to carry out the company’s mission of providing clients with a safe, enjoyable, and educational wilderness experience. The Skagway office facilitates the operation of all our day programs via scheduling, sales, cruise ship correspondence, and ensuring guides complete their jobs and the paperwork it entails.
In addition to these responsibilities, admin roles will from time to time jump in on various roles including dock repping, driving, CDL driving, and potentially guiding trips.
Dock Rep: The Skagway reps facilitate the operation of all our day programs via collecting passengers, collecting tickets and waivers, and driving transfers.
Driver: The Skagway driver transports passengers safely to and from their excursion location. Drivers are knowledgeable about the tour and the natural and cultural history of the area to provide guests with an educational and entertaining drive to their excursion.
CDL Driver: Licensed Class B CDL with same qualifications as a driver. Training available in Skagway. See CDL information below.
Naturalist: Guide driving and/or hiking trips as needed. Must be fully trained as a guide, be certified in first aid and CPR, and have a valid passport for driving tours.
Alaska Mountain Guides: is the premier outdoor adventure guide service in Southeast Alaska. Day trips out of Skagway and Haines include rock climbing, zip-lining, hiking, kayaking, and canoeing. AMG also offers multi-day expeditions and instructional courses across the globe.
Chilkat Guides: Guiding Alaskan rivers since 1978, Chilkat Guides has been a leader in river guiding for over three decades. Hike and float the historic Chilkoot Trail, raft through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve, or experience the culture and history of the Tlingits in their mother village of Klukwan on one of our day trips. Chilkat Guides also offers multi-day rafting adventures on some of North America’s most wild and remote rivers.
Skagway Specific Employee Information:
Essential Job Functions
- Assisting the Operations Manager in running daily operations.
- Creating and executing guide schedules.
- Ensuring guides are on task and on time.
- Dispatching tours via office radio.
- Allocating additional space to ships when sales dictate.
- Promptly responding to all cruise ship emails.
- Departure Allocations — adjust allocations to maximize sales.
- General Administration support.
- Support projects and additional responsibilities as needed.
- May jump in as a dock rep as needed.
- May jump in as a driver as needed.
- May jump in as a CDL driver as needed and if licensed.
- May jump in as a driving tour or hiking guide as needed and if trained.
- Must possess the desire to continually improve his/her knowledge and skills.
- Must at all times be clean, well-groomed, courteous, honest, and reliable.
- Must possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate, strong, and energetic.
- Must be willing to work as a strong team member, assisting in the maintenance of group morale.
- The office team reports to the Operations Manager and Program Manager.
Experience Required to Perform Job Requirements
- Prior tourism experience preferred.
- Must possess strong work ethic.
- Must be punctual.
- Must be organized.
- Must have great, positive attitude.
- Must be able to handle multiple, simultaneous tasks.
- Must obtain or be willing to obtain a valid Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement.
- Pass FMCSA required pre-employment drug tests & screening.
- Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
- Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
- Complete AMG Skagway Driver training program.
- If you are interested in pursuing this position, please visit our website to fill out an application. Email us an application, cover letter, and resume. We will formally begin the application review process at that point and contact you thereafter.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $14.00 – $18.00 per hour